A few times a year, Chuang Yen Monastery will hold the meditation retreats, dharma study retreats, or special spiritual mind and body related health workshops. These programs could run from 1 day up to 21 days.
To uphold a good quality, here are some of the general guidelines to join the longer retreats in the Chuang Yen Monastery.
- Meditators are expected dress conservatively and to not wear sleeveless shirts, tank tops, shorts or short skirts when resident at the retreat. Female yogis should wear long skirts or loose trousers, or dresses and blouses with sleeves. Avoid wearing tight-fitting clothes.
- Meditators are expected to wear light and comfortable clothing for meditation (fabric would not make a lot of noise). We also suggest that you wear shoes without shoelaces for the convenience of entering and existing the halls。
- Chuang Yen Monastery is situated on higher ground, the morning and evenings can be quite cool. Please dress warm and make sure you bring your jacket, hat and scarf.
Items to bring
- Please bring your own sleeping bag, toiletries, toothbrush, toothpaste, dental floss, soap, shampoo, razors, mirror, hair-brush and nail clippers.
- Meditators may also wish to bring a watch, alarm clock, vitamin supplements as well as any prescribed medicines.
- Don’t bring any valuable articles as we will not be responsible for any loss.
Some retreats require
Meditators are asked to maintain strict “noble silence,” that is, not engaging in any talk with each other, or anyone else, unless it is really necessary during the course of the retreat.
The Eight Precepts
All meditators are expected to observe the eight precepts during the retreat:
- HARMLESSNESS: NOT INTENTIONALLY TAKING THE LIFE OF ANY LIVING CREATURE
- TRUSTWORTHINESS: NOT TAKING ANYTHING THAT IS NOT GIVEN
- CHASTITY: REFRAINING FROM ANY SEXUAL ACTIVITY
- RIGHT SPEECH: AVOIDING FALSE, ABUSIVE OR MALICIOUS SPEECH
- SOBRIETY: NOT TAKING ANY INTOXICATING DRINKS OR DRUGS
- RENUNCIATION: NOT EATING AFTER MIDDAY
- RESTRAINT: NOT WEARING MAKE-UP, JEWELRY OR IMMODEST CLOTHING; NOT PLAYING MUSIC OR MUSICAL INSTRUMENTS; TO REFRAIN FROM DANCING; SINGING AND TO REFRAIN FROM THE USE OF ADORNMENTS AND ORNAMENTS
- ALERTNESS: TO REFRAIN FROM USING HIGH AND LUXURIOUS SEATS AND BEDS
Meditators are required to strictly adhere to the rules of the meditation centre and to practice diligently, according to the instructions given by their teacher.
- Applicants 18 or older is suggested, and can behave independently. One who is healthy with right faith and right view, and genuinely interested in learning.
- To prevent from disturbing the practice of others, please don’t bring your children to the monastery if they can’t maintain “Noble Silence” or sit quietly in the Dhamma Hall.
- No telephone is allowed, so please inform your family members and friends.
- If there is any reason you cannot attend after you have sent in your application, please let us know early.
- Should you break any rule during the time attending the meditation, we may request you to leave.
- Please park your vehicle at the designated parking lots.